Monday, May 10, 2010

Things I learned day one with REBOL

My first day of REBOL gave me a few gotchas.

First of all, I noticed that google didn't handle me that many pages when searching for questions regarding REBOL. There are not much "buzz" about it at all around the web, and I found at that the main reason for that is probably because the REBOL people hang around in something called AltME world, not ordinary forums. (There are at least one forum for you all to check out).

Second, REBOL gui's isn't the most beutiful in the world for sure, but they are probably the easiest ever to create. Python is compact but type this is in you REBOL console and be amazed..

editor (request-text)

Anyway, I always prefer Function over Form, and hopefully I will discover a few tricks to make the gui look a little bit better, like a new font.

And finally a notice, if you play with the REBOL console you can type away whatever examples you find. But remember that if you write REBOL scripts (.r files) you will always need a valid REBOL header, like this one:

Rebol [
Title: "Cool REBOL script"
]

By the way, if your'e on windows and in the need for a REBOL editor, read this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment